« Back to What We Do

Residential care

Residential care is for adults with a disability who need daily support and are not ready to live independently.  However, this can be a transition to becoming more independent and moving on to supported living.

Our residential care support is provided through small shared houses. We offer flexible support to individuals with a wide range of needs, including:

  • Learning disabilities
  • Profound and multiple learning disabilities
  • Autism
  • Physical disabilities
  • Sensory needs
  • and other health related needs, such as epilepsy.

Support is tailored to each individual using person centred support planning.

We can support people with:

  • Daily living tasks
  • Personal care
  • Health and medication support
  • Budgeting and managing money
  • Building links with friends, family and the community
  • Social and leisure activities
  • Making healthy lifestyle choices
  • Going to college or work.

For more information about our services across England, please go to Find services.

If you, a member of your family or a friend would like some advice around residential care and the options available to you, get in touch via the contact form at the bottom of the page and we will be happy to discuss your specific needs.

Residential care FAQs

  • How can you access residential care?

    You can be referred to a residential care service that has vacancies by your local authority or by applying directly to a service.

    back to top

  • How do we involve the individual being supported?

    All of the people we support in residential services are encouraged to give us feedback

    Our residential services provide many opportunities for people to be involved in how the home is run, how they are supported and what they do at home and in the community.

    This can be anything from choosing how their room and other rooms are decorated and furnished, what they eat and where and when they eat, who supports them through deciding what characteristics are important in their staff and taking part in recruiting staff and by being involved in deciding if new people coming to live in the home are compatible.

    They can also be involved by taking responsibility for tasks in the house, such as testing fire alarms. People can also participate in our involvement groups and have a say about what we do.

    back to top

  • How is residential care funded?

    Generally through adult social care but this can be privately funded.

    In some cases, through healthcare. If the person has specific health related support needs, funding is often assessed against needs using the care funding calculator.

    back to top

  • How is support checked?

    The Care Quality Commission in England and the Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (Wales), make visits to residential care homes to ensure the support being provided meets their standards. Commissioners, healthcare professionals and senior Walsingham Support staff members also visit services on a regular basis to assess how support is meeting our own quality standards.

    back to top

  • How much support is available?

    Support is tailored to the individual needs of the person and is normally provided through shared and individual one to one support hours. Support is available 24 hours a day, based on the needs of the people who live there.

    back to top

  • Staffing in residential care

    The key qualities we look for when recruiting new people is their passion for supporting people and a ‘can do’ approach.

    Each team member then receives individual support through a programme of planned continuous professional development. Walsingham Support’s unique training programme uses the best in contemporary skills development techniques, along with our own bespoke values training, which emphasises that everyone is different.

    Staff are trained to enable people to do as much as they can for themselves, we call this active support.

    The number of staff is based on the needs of the people we support and the hours that are funded but staff are available 24 hours a day.

    back to top

  • When is residential care available?

    You have to be 18 years old to live in an adult residential care service, but we can start supporting you to plan for this through our transition support if you are under 18.

    back to top

  • Where is residential care available?

    We offer this service across England.

    back to top

Get in touch

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Call our support and information line

  • 0333 405 1030
  • Walsingham Support
    Suite 500
    1st Floor, Building 4
    North London Business Park
    Oakleigh Road South
    New Southgate
    London, N11 1GN