The Forge Fach community hub in Clydach, South Wales, is a multi-faceted, revolutionary inclusion project that is conceptualized, built and run with local community at the very heart of it. Forge Fach operates as a social enterprise with profits invested back into community schemes and projects. Nearly 30,000 people live within a two-mile radius of the centre.
Our vision is to create a fully inclusive environment that embraces the needs of the local community regardless of age, gender or ability. We want to deliver a real change in the perception of individuals with disabilities and their role within the wider community.
Forge Fach is a subsidiary of Walsingham Support, a national charity who have been challenging and changing the provision of care for individuals with learning disabilities, complex needs, autism and acquired brain injuries since 1986.
Why was it created?
Having researched various ways that a modern alternative to day centres could be created, we realized that with Forge Fach, we had the perfect opportunity to create something that would deliver far more. It combines the need for day centres and inclusion for individuals with disabilities into a community hub that benefits everyone.
Our goal is for all of the individuals accessing these activities to gain:
• Greater independence
• Basic employability and vocational skills, work experience and job opportunities
• Social opportunities and integrate more closely with their community
• Greater health and wellbeing through improved education and wider skills
• Knowledge from advice provided by various providers in ‘specialist areas’
• Better life chances through learning at the centre.
Who visits Forge Fach?
It is a space created for all, shared by all, used by all and enjoyed by all. A place that addresses the wants, needs and aspirations of the entire community equally and at the same time. We believe that there is a different way to create a real, lasting inclusion and Forge Fach is that different way.
As a self-sustaining social enterprise, we offer a wide variety of activities, services and facilities which will continue to evolve.
• Workshops including; benefit, back to work advice and job seekers workshops
• Respite space and services for carers and supported individuals
• Bespoke activities for individuals with complex needs
• Work experience
• Space for charity events and fundraising activities
• Courses on life skills and learning development
• Fitness for the over 60s via GP referrals
• Local health board rehab classes
• Positive steps fall prevention classes
• Fully resourced meeting and conferencing facilities for local businesses
• A café
• Day nursery
• Serviced office space for local organisations and business start-ups
• Training courses for support and care providers
So whether it’s grabbing a meal, learning, karate, yoga or Welsh, dropping the kids off at the day nursery, presenting a new business plan then catching a film, Forge Fach is the place to be. Everyone is different, and there is something for everyone.